Who can apply to the program?
- Only permanent, full-time faculty in the professorial ranks (assistant, associate, full or research) may apply.
What is a typical budget?
- Grant budgets will be dependent on the need of the specific project for a one-year period, and may be eligible for renewal.
What are the application criteria?
- Proposals must contain a commercialization plan.
- The research must relate directly to applications in focused interest areas.
What are some examples of desirable outcomes of the projects proposed?
- Examples of desirable outcomes include inventions, patents, commercial partnerships, start-up companies and follow-on funding targeted toward these same outcomes.
What are my responsibilities as an awardee?
- Meet the objectives (including budgeted expenses) and deliverables outlined in your application.
- Prepare a detailed project plan
- Provide a broad one-year overview
- Provide project plans with quarterly milestones
- Regularly track the project
- Quarterly project report (progress, IP, etc.)
- Participate in Operational Review Meetings with Oversight Committee
What can I expect from the U-M-BICI Partnership Program staff?
- Business development support
- Intellectual property advice and legal support
- Regulatory guidance
- Follow-on funding guidance
Who is involved with the U-M-BICI Partnership Program?
- The U-M-BICI Partnership Program is a partnership between the U-M Office of Research and the Beijing Institute for Collaborative Innovation and is led on U-M's campus by:
- Chuanwu Xi, Faculty Executive Director
- Tiefei Dong, Managing Director
- The U-M Oversight Committee is comprised of U-M and BICI leadership that oversee the program.