You are here
Office of Research
Research Scientist Promotion Recommendations
Instructions for Assembly of the Promotion Dossier
Oversight and administration of the Research Scientist Track is the responsibility of the Office of Research. The Vice President for Research has delegated to units the authority to make promotions to the rank of Assistant Research Scientist without review or approval by UMOR.* Promotion recommendations to ranks of Associate Research Scientist and Research Scientist must be submitted to the Office of Research according to instructions below. (Promotion recommendations to the Research Professor Track must be submitted to both the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Vice President for Research.)
The deadline for submission of promotion recommendations to be effective September 1, 2018 is:
February 14, 2018
Promotion Material Submissions by Unit
- All materials are to be submitted electronically.
- A preliminary list of those expected to be considered for promotion shall be submitted by December 8, 2017.
- A transmittal letter from the Dean or Director to the Vice President for Research in support of the nomination (Please note this is not applicable to units that report to UMOR)
- A casebook template (use is required for all units except Michigan Medicine and the College of Engineering) and instructions are available for formatting and uploading casebooks and summary memoranda.
- Please upload the casebook as a single PDF file to the Mbox designated for your unit. In addition to the casebooks, the Dean/Director should include a summary memorandum indicating name, current rank, appointment and level of effort for each individual being recommended for promotion and the promotion action. The final summary memo should be uploaded as a separate document in the same Mbox location.
- Promotion packets will not be acted on until all required documents are present.
- For further information, contact Bekah Ashley in UMOR, firstname.lastname@example.org.
January - June 2017
- Units follow internal process for identifying faculty eligible for promotion on the research scientist track.
- UMOR memo to units with promotion process, dates and instructions.
December 8, 2017
- Units upload summary list and information on faculty eligible for promotion to Mbox.
February 14, 2018
- Deadline for uploading complete casebooks to Mbox.
Late May/June 2018
- Outcome of casebook review shared with Units.
* Units that report to UMOR must submit recommendations for promotions to the Vice President for Research for promotions to the ranks of Assistant Research Scientist or higher.