You are here
With $1.48 billion in annual research expenditures, the University of Michigan is one of the world's leading research universities. The U-M Office of Research (UMOR) supports this enterprise by cultivating interdisciplinary research and providing a range of services across all three campuses. Our activities include:
- Fostering new research though our affiliated interdisciplinary units, novel programs such as MCubed, new initiatives, our grants and awards program, and our recognition awards.
- Building partnerships with industry, government and academia through the work of our Business Engagement Center and Federal Relations for Research office, as well as through our interdisciplinary units, international programs and new initiatives.
- Providing central research administration from proposal submission, through contract development and negotiation, to project closeout with the services of the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects.
- Supporting a culture of ethical research and compliance by providing guidance and oversight through the Research Ethics & Compliance Office in such areas as the protection of human and animal subjects, biological safety and conflict of interest management.
- Overseeing research policy, including research compliance, guidelines for research faculty, implementation of the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA) and other areas.
- Managing knowledge transfer and economic development through such activities as our Office of Technology Transfer, Business Engagement Center and Economic Growth Institute.
- Advocating for university research through the efforts of our Federal Relations for Research office and Business Engagement Center, and by coordinating research communications.
UMOR is committed to organizational diversity and an inclusive, equitable environment as a means to attract the best talent and carry out its mission.