You are here
PURPOSE: For some faculty, the creation of, and participation in, artistic productions and performances are central components of their scholarly work. Thus, the U-M Office of Research (UMOR) provides funds to support costs associated with these activities. The intention is to support the professional growth and development of the faculty member rather than provide general support for the arts or provide training experiences for students.
ELIGIBILITY: Instructional and Research Faculty, Librarians, Curators, and Archivists may apply, but special attention will be given to faculty in the Schools of Art & Design, Music, Theatre & Dance, and the College of Architecture and Urban Planning.
BUDGET: The maximum UMOR contribution is $15,000. A match from the unit, school/college, department, or other internal sources totaling no less than 33% of the UMOR contribution is required.
DEADLINES: 15th of February, April, June, August, October, & December.
Notification of funding decisions is typically made within 12 weeks of the program’s deadline. Late applications received will not be processed until the next deadline for that program. Applicants can facilitate expeditious review by providing complete information, all required signatures, and by suggesting qualified, independent reviewers.
**Note: LSA Faculty are required to apply through the Gateway to Internal Funding (eGif)**
- Download the Application Form
- Complete all necessary fields of the application form
- Obtain necessary signatures (bottom of page 2 of the application form)
- Create a single PDF file with the documents in the following order:
- Application Form
- Proposal Narrative
- Budget Justification
- Project Director’s CV (3 page limit)
- Submit the final PDF via email to UMOR-FGA-Submissions@umich.edu by the appropriate deadline dat
- PROPOSAL NARRATIVE (5 page limit)
The narrative should provide a concise description of the research, scholarship or creative activity, including:
- Statement of nature, objectives, and expected outcome of proposed activity
- Description of the significance of proposed research/creative activity: in the discipline or field, for the applicant’s scholarship, and for the University
- Plans for accomplishing objectives (explain if timing of award is critical)
- Other items as indicated in program description
- BUDGET (1 page limit)
A detailed budget should be included in addition to the budget summary information requested on the application form.
- BUDGET JUSTIFICATION: (2 page limit)
The budget justification is a narrative that should fully explain the relationship of costs to the proposed activity, and the basis for cost estimates. In addition, please indicate:
- Why UMOR support is sought (e.g., external support is unavailable, insufficient, delayed, interrupted, impractical, etc.)
- If the request is for “seed” money, explain the nature and status of plans for other support at the conclusion of this award
- If salary support is requested, provide detail (for whom, nature and percent of appointment, period of time, amount)